Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Spring Cleaning – Or Not

This past weekend I looked at my office and thought “UGH!” How can I write in this clutter? I wanted to start tossing stuff out the door and get organized. What is it about Spring that makes me want to do crazy things, like clean? I usually don’t see the dust bunnies or clutter when I’m deep into my writing. 

Well, folks, I’ll tell you what brought on this craziness. THE MAGAZINES CAME IN THE MAIL! You know the ones. They’re chock full of spring colors and lovely pictures of perfectly organized rooms and promises of how easy it is to accomplish a DIY makeover in your own home. Oh, sure. Easy for them to say. You’d need more than one frustrated writer-wife-housemaid-cook-laundress-grocery shopper-in home nurse-social director for that kind of project at my house. Seriously, you’d need the entire crew of Extreme Makeover for at least a month.

You know those pages filled with gorgeous photos of floral arrangements they promise you can grow in your own perfectly manicured yard to color-coordinate with your fabulous designer furniture? I wanted it all. ALL!

I didn’t dare look at the illustrated examples of how to de-clutter and organize your OFFICE the easy way. That would involve a trip to the office supply store to purchase all those cute little accessories and color-coordinated note pads and pens. Oh, and don’t forget a coffee machine to have in there to save trips to the kitchen. And a new desk chair. My hubby shudders when I go near that place.

Then, after you haul all your new goodies home you can spend the next week sorting through “stuff” to toss because you need the room and “good stuff” to keep because you may need it someday for that next project . . . or something. So you get busy finding a place to store the “keepers” you’ve taken out of your newly-organized office so you will have a place to put your newly-purchased goodies that are going to make your life more organized. And pretty soon your office starts to look like it did before all the de-cluttering.

Now, I don’t know about you folks, but I’m worn out just thinking about all this cleaning and organizing. Too much backin’ and forthin’. Besides, the snow hasn’t even melted yet even if the calendar says it’s Spring, and it’s too cold to work in the yard. I’ll just put the magazines away for now and stick to writing. Walking around the stacks of books and magazines on the floor is good exercise, and if I move the piles of papers on my desk to the other side, I can find the keyboard. My Writer’s Cave-ette will work just fine the way it is. The kitchen is only a few steps away (more good exercise) and the Keurig is always ready.

So there, I’ve stopped obsessing about Spring Cleaning and saved money, too, by staying out of the office supply store. My plan is to get organized as soon as I send this book to my editor.

Has Spring Fever got you in a C and O state of mind? (Cleaning and Organizing) Share your de-clutter secrets here, folks. I’m gonna need ‘em one of these days.

Just a reminder: Don’t miss my guest on April 9, newly-published author, Elizabeth Alsobrooks. She’ll be here to tell us about her debut novel, the urban fantasy ILLUMINATI: The Book of Life, and also have a drawing for a copy of her book.

See y’all next time right here at the back fence where the coffee’s always hot and the tea’s always sweet.


Loralee

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Loralee, your office sounds like mine. I absolutely MUST get better organized. What's my trigger to clean? Company--esp. company that will spend the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about like me too Diane - I never really seem to SEE the dust bunnies until I know I'm going to have company :)

      Delete
    2. I agree, Diane. Company is a great motivator to clean house. It's just my office that looks like an explosion took place in it. . and company isn't allowed in there. Ha!

      Delete
    3. My Girl Friday, I know what you mean. Those dust bunnies multiply faster than ... er, rabbits(?) at my house and only come out when they know company is coming.

      Delete
  2. I don't have an office. I have a dining room table and book shelf. :( My cleaning and organizing fit is in my closet this week. I see all these sweaters and I'm tired of the cold Michigan winter. I'm ready to toss them all!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, I hear you re closet organizing. I got out summer wear in Feb. to go on a cruise and somehow ended up keeping it out. Talk about crowded closet! Summer can't come fast enough for me!

      Delete
  3. Great post, Loralee! The spring cleaning bug hasn't hit me yet, lol! But the second I can open the windows it will and I'll be cleaning all 3 floors and the kids will be running for cover :) I'm so ready for fresh air and warm summer breezes blowing through my office!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Jen, I'm all for those fresh summer breezes, too. In the meantime, I'm fighting the clutter in my office and not getting anywhere. I need expandable walls in the room.

      Delete
  4. My office needs cleaning, too. As does my whole house! Since I'm leaving one of my jobs soon, I will have more time. But that's supposed to be time to write, not clean. Ah well, maybe just clean half an hour a day? I love my paper shredder. That's one good way to get rid of all that paper clutter. Shred it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy, I love my paper shredder, too. I know you'll find time to write in that extra time you'll have. We need more books from you!

    ReplyDelete