Thursday, February 21, 2013

Romancing the West Blog Hop!


WELCOME TO THE ROMANCING THE WEST BLOG TOUR

Why do we enjoy writing and reading about the West? What is it about cowboys that is just plain irresistible? Over thirty authors and bloggers tackle these and other questions by explaining why we love Romancing the West.

But that’s not all, as you enjoy some awesome blogs and find fantastic books, for every post you comment on with your email address, you will be entered for some amazing prizes.

***PLEASE LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS TO QUALIFY***

Grand Prize: A swag pack which includes books (both ebooks and paper), Amazon gift card, custom made butterfly jewelry, book cards, magnets and much more all tucked away in a keepsake box. (Available to US residents only. Winner will be announced on February 26 at 10 PM EST)


And, as an added bonus, enter the Rafflecopter below for a chance to win my book Hill Country Man!


* * * * * Here's My Post on Cowboys! * * * * *

Reading, Writing and Cowboys 

I grew up in the Texas Hill Country back when Saturday movie matinees were only ten cents and Roy Rogers and Dale Evans sang Happy Trails to You at the end of every show. Roy always got the bad guy and Dale was always there to cheer him on. Their horses, Trigger and Buttermilk, were special, too. My childish heart loved it all and I wanted to have a horse of my own so I could ride with Roy and Dale. Well, we all know that didn’t happen. I was twelve before I finally got a horse, but Roy and Dale never invited me to ride along on their happy trails. Gene Autry didn’t, either, but I kept on loving cowboys and rodeos anyway. 

Fast forward to John Wayne in Red River, True Grit and myriad other Westerns on the silver screen, along with Gary Cooper in High Noon, Alan Ladd in Shane and so many other excellent actors. Then television exploded with exciting Western series. Gunsmoke with Marshal Dillon and Miss Kitty, Bonanza with Hoss, my favorite of the Cartwright boys, also Maverick, The Rifleman, Wagon Train and the unforgettable Lonesome Dove. I loved them all. Cowboys respected God, women, family and the land. They were loyal to the brand they rode for and considered their horses as their best friends.

As time went by I found paperback Western romances in the book stores and became an avid fan of Rosanne Bittner and Linda Lael Miller, two talented authors who are still among my favorites. It was inevitable that I eventually try my hand at writing stories of my own. What can I say? I love cowboys and romance. And I had so many stories in my head just waiting to be told. I had to write them. My latest contemporary romance novel, HILL COUNTRY MAN, is available now and features local rancher/cop Sam Banner, single mom Maggie Oliver, and the secret that almost destroys the love they find after years apart. I hope you’ll read it and let me know your thoughts.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

29 comments:

  1. handmade valentines from my nephews are always my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Sue, homemade ones are so special. Your nephews are very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed reading your post, all those great westerns from long ago.
    To answer your question, favorite valentine was the first one from my husband.
    skpetal at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean MP, those "firsts" are truly special.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter loves to make homemade valentines cards for me and my husband.

    susanmplatt AT hotmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of your daughter. There's something so special about homemade Valentines.

      Delete
  6. I am a teacher so I have received many wonderful valentine cards, letters, and presents, from past students
    videoclimber(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your students love you!

      Delete
  7. I received my first date with my now husband. Gotta love a man willing to go on a first date on Valentine's Day.
    Mel
    bournmelissa at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing yet fiances & uncreative hubby ..

    BeckeyWhiteATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a special look across the dinner table, a hug and "I love you, honey" can be more precious that any material gift, Beckey.
      Share a hug with hubby and watch his eyes light up with love. :)

      Delete
  9. My favorite valentines are the ones from my kids! Handmade and special! They fill my cedar chest and my heart :)

    jennyrlowery(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your comment about the valentines filling your cedar chest and your heart, Jennifer. That's the way it should always be! A mother's heart is happiest when filled with that kind of love.

      Delete
  10. Cute Valentines from my children when they were young.

    Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are always the best, aren't they?

      Delete
  11. big box of candy
    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Homemade valentines my children and grandchildren have given me.
    Sue B
    katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone agrees those are the best kinds, Sue B. :)

      Delete
  13. Westerns and cowboys are always great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly! That's why I love writing stories about them.

      Delete
  14. The best Valentine I have ever received was a dozen long stemmed wired roses from my boyfriend. Of course, 2 weeks later I got the bill from the florist and a notice from my bank that he had overdrawn my account and skipped town with the money, but for that one day, it was magic.

    Bookworm (dot) judy (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, what can I say? The best of times an the worst of times. I love your attitude that for one day, it was magic.

      Delete
  15. My kids got me a stuffed frog holding a heart one year because they know that I like frogs. I also love cowboys so maybe they will find me one of those one day! Thanks for the great giveaway!

    thompsonem3 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I hope you get that cowboy and he will be holding a heart for you. Tell your kids to keep looking.

      Delete
  16. Hi! I hope you had a wonderful valentines. Ive never really done the whole valentines. I dont celebrate the holiday. Tho, one year, my mom gave me a necklace her father had made her when she was a child. He died when she was in her teens. He was her rock. So the necklace has a special meaning and a place in our hearts. The great thing, he shaped a piece of glass into a heart, put a little itty bitty nugget of gold in it and wrapped the outside of the heart in silver. Its beautiful! You can see the love that went into it. Thank you for the awesome hop and giveaway!!! :)
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadow, the necklace is definitely a treasure. What a beautiful keepsake your mom passed to you. Thanks for sharing your story.

      Delete