Thursday, July 12, 2012

Susan Mallery: I’m Not Good at Good News


I write happy books set in happy places with guaranteed happy endings, so it might surprise you to hear that when I get good news, I don’t go to the happy place. My mind immediately drags me to the scary place. My subconscious is convinced the universe will exact unpleasant payment for any good fortune that comes my way. If I win $5 on a scratch-off lottery ticket, someone will back into my car. If I score a free dessert at my favorite restaurant, my toilet is going to back up.


Last week, my agent called and breathlessly said, “SUMMER NIGHTS is at #2 on the New York Times bestsellers list!”


SUMMER NIGHTS is the 8th book in my Fool’s Gold series of romance novels (www.foolsgoldca.com), and the second book in this year’s trilogy. Book 6 (ONLY HIS) hit #8 on the NYT. Book 7 (SUMMER DAYS) hit #5 on the NYT. And now SUMMER NIGHTS had hit #2. Each of these milestones was a personal best for me.


So when I got the news, did I bask? Er, no. I went from numb shock to, “It must be a mistake.” But then she emailed me the actual list, and there I was at number two. John Grisham, #1. Susan Mallery, #2.


See? So what did I do? I panicked, of course. I couldn’t help myself. This was so unbelievably wonderful, that I just knew I’d have to pay a high price! I saw danger around every corner! I took the stairs instead of the elevator to avoid getting trapped between the 4th and 5th floors of my condo building. I waited for my agent to call to tell me that the NYT was going to print a retraction on page 1, taking it all back.


But I’ll be honest – despite the panic roiling around in the pit of my stomach, I’m glad to be at number two, and I’m incredibly gratified by the outpouring of love from my readers. And I hope I’ll have another reason to panic on July 31 when ALL SUMMER LONG (Fool’s Gold book 9) is released.
I’m just not good at good news. Are you? What’s a great piece of news that you have received, and how did you react?

15 comments:

  1. Welcome to my back fence, Susan. My four-legged friend, Reino, and I are excited to have you here. In fact, Reino kicked up his heels and ran up and down the fence line when he heard the great news! He didn't even wait for me to catch up. I sent a shout-out to all my friends, so I'm hoping we'll have a big crowd here today. Everyone will want to know more about the latest in your Fool's Gold series. Congrats on hitting the NYT and USA lists! Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Loralee and Reino! It's a little too early for me to kick up my heels, but even so, I'm happy to be here. Thank you so much for inviting me to hang out today at the back fence! And thanks for celebrating the NYT with me. It's so fun! The second week lists came out yesterday, and SUMMER NIGHTS is at #13 NYT and #24 USA Today. So I'm still happy!

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan and thanks for visiting Loralee! I'm anxiously waiting for the release of All Summer Long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Me too! Anxious is a good word for it. ;)

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan! It's so good to see you at the back fence. Awesome news and I totally understand looking over your shoulder. I do that too. I had to pinch myself when I received my first contract. After twelve years of writing I was beginning to think it wouldn't happen. I made several phone calls to share the news and no one was home to answer the call! Eventually hubby arrived and I met him at the door, grinning from ear to ear. He thought I won the lottery until I told him, no cash, just a contract. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one was home?!?!?! Didn't they know they should be waiting by the phone in case you called? That must've been so frustrating! Good news doesn't seem real until you share it. Congratulations on your contract and best of luck with your books, Teresa!

      Delete
  4. The expression 'knock on wood' comes the reverse gyrations our minds conclude is only good luck, when in fact your hard work and talent have been proven of real value.

    congratulations, Rohn Federbush

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for "All Summer Long". Your books have kept me going all summer during my recovery from neck surgery and I have enjoyed being a foolsgold cheerleader! Kept on writing great books. I so love this background on this page. Its my dream home for my horses and goats and my donkey Pedro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... Zippy? I don't remember a cheerleader named Zippy, but I guess that's probably an alias. ;) This is a beautiful picture, isn't it? You'll love Loralee's books!

      Delete
    2. Hi Zippy! Happy to have a Fools Gold cheerleader at the back fence. So glad your recovery was aided by Susan's books. They make every reader happy,don't they?

      Susan, thanks for the plug for my books. Having you at the back fence is such a special occasion, I'm firing up the grill and fixin' to make y'all some Texas barbecued brisket.

      Delete
    3. Mmmm, authentic Texas barbecue! That brings back memories!

      Delete
  6. Hi Susan! Glad to see you at the Back Fence. Congratulations on making #2! You deserve it. And I fully understand looking around for the scary place. Award ceremony? Fall flat on my face on my way across the stage. Get a bonus check? An appliance is going to break. I think the same way.

    Again, congrats on #2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for being my my guest at the back fence today, Susan. We've loved having you and look forward to reading many more stories from Fool's Gold. It's a wonderful series. Can't wait until ALL SUMMER LONG comes out July 31!
    And please stop by again. I'll add some yummy pecan pie to the barbecue menu and we'll have a party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer Nights is a great summer read. I love that Annabelle wanted to learn how to ride a horse for her fundraiser for her bookmobile that she cares so much about. I don't want to give away anything. There was so many twists & turns in this book! I love that so much. There is 1 thing that I absolutely love a lot, but I can not say. My daughter is disabled & she takes horseback riding lessons. Summer Nights is my favorite book in the entire Fool's Gold series! I give 5 stars! Way to go Susan Mallery!!

    ReplyDelete