Thursday, June 7, 2012

Needed – One Attitude Adjustment

Mornin’, y’all. Hope this day finds you enjoying good health and great weather. School’s out in most places and summer fun is about to begin. Picnics, sandy beaches along blue waters, ice cream sundaes and root beer floats in frosty mugs - my favorite thing, by the way, next to cold, sweet tea.

Here at my Back Fence, it’s quiet this mornin’, except for the rough, putt-putt-chug of the John Deere in the field and the chatter of birds overhead. A perfect day for reflecting, contemplating the book I’m writing, or just bein’ lazy, right? So why am I worrying about things I have no control over. I’m hurried and impatient and getting absolutely nowhere in my rush to accomplish too many tasks for one day. Why can’t I slow down and enjoy the beauty around me today? Anger only gives me heartburn and frowning makes more wrinkles and stress-snacking gives me extra pounds and . . . well, you get the picture. 

I need an attitude adjustment in the worst way, so I decided to browse through my file folder labeled “Stuff”. Sure enough, a poem popped up that hit me smack between the eyes. I definitely found the attitude adjustment I needed. The poem’s been around awhile, and maybe you’ve read it. Far as I know, the author is unknown, but I thank that person for the inspiring words I’m about to share with y’all here.
**************************************

Attitude

There once was a woman, who woke up one morning,
looked in the mirror,
and noticed she had only three hairs on her head.

Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today."
So she did
and

she had a
wonderful
day.

The next day she woke up,
looked in the mirror
and saw that she had only two hairs on her head.

"H-M-M," she said,
"I think I'll part my hair down the middle today."
So she did
and
she had a
grand
day.

The next day she woke up,
looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one hair on her head.

"Well," she said,
"today I'm going to wear my hair in a pony tail."
So she did
and
she had a
fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up,
looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head.

"YEA!" she exclaimed,
"I don't have to fix my hair today!"
 **************************************
Attitude is everything.

Be kinder than necessary,
for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Live simply,
Love generously,
Care deeply,
Speak kindly....
Leave the rest to God

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....
It's about learning to 
dance in the rain **************************************
I hope your day is special, however you choose to spend it. Stop by again, ‘cause the gate’s always unlocked. Just remember to close it behind you.

And if you’re looking for some easy summer reading, tuck my contemporary Texas Hill Country romances in your beach bag. ALL THAT MATTERS, HILL COUNTRY MAN and ACCIDENTAL HERO are available for e-readers. ALL THAT MATTERS is also available in print.

See y’all next time,

LORALEE

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Loralee! I love the story. I should share that. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attitude can make or break a day. Love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing that poem, Loralee! I'm putting on a new attitude today. And rather than just cleaning the house, I'll flit around the rooms with my radio at high volume like I did years ago! Life is what we make it!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue. ~Author Unknown

    I KNOW for a fact that you've got dreams in hidden places. Trot them out for a view when you are feeling down. Since you have one of the most beautiful smiles in the world, your dreams should make more than one person happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Folks, I'm having computer problems today, plus the hacking and 'phishing' stuff that just makes my blood boil, I'm off to take my laptop to the tech repair shop. (and hopefully get another attitude adjustment) I'll do individual replies as soon as I can.
    Thanks to everyone who left a comment. I appreciate every single one of y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get your computer unscrambled asap.

    I love that poem, Loralee, especially the wonderful image of dancing in the rain. Absolutely love it.

    When you're a writer, you can even use the bad stuff. All the best, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that poem! What an inspiration. Hope your computer worries are soon over. Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi friends,
    I intended to reply to each comment individually, but am crunched for time, as usual, since getting my laptop fixed...again.
    I thank each and every one of you for stopping by my back forty to leave a comment. And I'd like to add the following to my own comments.

    If you happened to be watching GMA Monday morning when the courageous Robin Roberts shared her latest health situation,then you know why this woman is an inspiration and role model for me. I've admired her for years. Her strength and unwavering faith during this new and difficult a time gives us all a shining example to follow. Her positive attitude is amazing. May God bless her always.

    ReplyDelete