Friday, May 25, 2012

Thoughts on Memorial Day Across the Back Fence

With the Memorial Day holiday this weekend, I’d like to share some thoughts about my visit to the American War Memorial in Normandy, France, and my walk on the sands of Omaha Beach.

I’m old enough to remember World War II, with my daddy in the Army and my brother serving in the Navy. The whole country united to support our servicemen and women. I remember the rationing of gas, sugar, shoes, butter and other items that were used to build whatever equipment was necessary for our armies to succeed. Victory gardens popped up in every spare spot of land. Times were hard and there were many gold stars on banners hanging in windows of families who lost a loved one in the war. So many tears by the ones left behind.

There’ve been other wars since WWII – other loved ones lost. Too many. But when I walked on the beach where so many lives were lost on June 6, 1944, I walked quietly, with respect and deep gratitude for those soldiers whose blood ran red that day and soaked the very sand where I stood. I imagined the fear and the cries of the wounded and dying. I cried for them, and for all the men and women who died serving our country. I said a prayer of thanks for their courage and their ultimate sacrifice. Later, when I walked through the rows of crosses at the cemetery, I realized the enormity of war. . .and remembered how blessed we are to be Americans.

So folks, this Memorial holiday when you’re watching that parade, grilling those burgers and dogs, watching the fireworks, please take time to honor the memory of those whose courage and belief in our country has made it all possible.

God bless y’all and God bless America.


Loralee

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Loralee. Makes me stop and think exactly what this long weekend is really about. I thank the good Lord and the families of the brave and courageous soldiers who gave all.
    Tere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed, aren't were, Teresa? Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. To actually walk the same beach where the D-Day invasion took place was an emotional experience I hadn't expected. Truly caused me to pause and reflect...and give thanks.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the moment of remembrance for the brave soldiers past and the respect to the soldiers of the present.

    My father, and my Uncle Randall, and my father-in-law were WWII soldiers. They did their duty with reverence and dignity and managed to come home with all their body parts. My father-in-law came home from France with a prospective bride (they had to go through some red tape before they married). She, now passed, was my husband's mother.

    Wars are never pretty and our do soldiers deserve our deepest gratitude.

    All the best, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the experiences of your family's heroes. We honor them and their courage.

    ReplyDelete