Thursday, May 10, 2012

Reflections From A Mom On Mother’s Day


With the approach of Mother’s Day on Sunday, I suddenly realized I’ve been a mom for fifty-six years. Fifty-six! Longer than some, yet not as long as others. Still, to me it’s a huge reason to celebrate. I’m blessed with a family that keeps on growing, and that’s the biggest tribute a mom could wish for.

Would I do it again if I’d known what the future held? Absolutely! Was it easy? Are you kidding? I knew next to nothing about being a mom and very little about babies in general. Talk about taking a leap of faith. . .I long-jumped blindly into the world of motherhood, clueless and fearless. I couldn’t wait to get started.

No one told me there would never be another uninterrupted night’s sleep, either, because by the time our first two were thirteen and fifteen, God evidently thought we did okay as parents and decided to trust us with two more babies only eleven months apart. Talk about a tough final exam in Parenthood 101, oh, yeah! I became reeealy good at walking around asleep with my eyes wide open, a baby in each arm. But the rewards were phenomenal. Love times four equals an abundance of hugs from chubby little arms, sticky-sweet kisses and snuggles at bedtime. Lots of laughter, laundry that never ended, runny noses, bumps and bruises and tears during ball games in the back yard. Yep, lots of those. . .and pure chaos. We were a family with growing pains, but we never lacked for love. Perfectly normal, right?

And then, when no one was looking, our four grew up – and were out on their own. And I could sleep all night, and the laundry basket filled slower, the house was quieter, and there was no line for the bathroom. There were only two of us at the dinner table and we didn’t know what to talk about. We wished for the chaos of a full house again.

Happily, our wishes came true after weddings and grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and once again we’re happily blessed with visits full of laughter and conversation, chubby little ones to cuddle, and yes, occasional chaos when everyone talks at once, but I can’t imagine life without it. We’ve survived scary times, shared joys and sorrows, laughed together and held each other through tears. We are a family.

So this Mother’s Day I’m celebrating our four blessings from God who call me Mom, the nine terrific ones who call me Grandma, and the three precious little ones who call me Great-Grandma. I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. This mom loves you.

Do you have something special about your mom you’d like to share with us? Feel free to leave a comment. We always love to hear from our readers.

I wish all y’all who visited the back fence today a warm and wonderful Mother’s Day, whether you are a mom, have your mom with you or have a mom you honor in memory.

See y’all here next week, the good Lord willin’ and the creek don’t rise.

Loralee - miss you, Mama

5 comments:

  1. A wonderful tribute to motherhood. My mom was a lot like you in that she had no idea about babies or raising kids--and she had 7 of them. Whew! Like all of us moms, she did the best she could. That's all anyone can ask of us.

    You are so blessed, Loralee, to have such a large, beautiful family. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diane. Yes, we are truly blessed. And as I write this, my granddaughter and two great-grands just came to visit. Happy times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother gave me a secret gift. I didn't realize until well into my own ordination as the mother of five. She was an enabler. Yeah, that has a down side if you don’t know how to harness it. But it has its blessings too. I told a friend of mine at retreat about my mother encouraging me to send my school essays to the local newspaper to see if I could sell them. Just like it was logical, sensible, possible. I now realize what a pipe dream that was. But they did buy them. I was fourteen years old.

    Hope I can be an enabler of that caliber. You did it, Mom. All the best, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Annette, what a wise mom to see your talent so early and encourage you like she did. Sweet secret gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's Day Grandma! You are truly an amazing mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. We love you! Justin, Stacey and Asher Longstreth

    ReplyDelete