Thursday, April 19, 2012

Across The Back Fence

If I seem distracted today, it’s because I’m still excited about the print release of my contemporary romance, ALL THAT MATTERS, by Tell-Tale Publishing. I know, I know, the digital version came out in September, but seeing the actual book still makes my heart beat a little faster. I’m so happy it’s available now for those without an e-reader. So many have asked when, so I’m hollerin’ IT’S OUT IN PRINT NOW!

I had another topic to write about today, but I think I’ll save it for another time. I’m in a silly sort of mood, so y’all please bear with me while I share a little Southern wisdom I came across today while I was doing some filing. (Yes, I do that once in a while when papers get piled too high on my desk to see over them.) Besides, I get homesick to hear a soft Southern drawl or a Texas twang now and then. Some days you just have to play, you know?

First of all, in the South, which includes Texas, y’all is singular . . . all y’all is plural.

Only a Southerner knows exactly how long “directly” is . . . as in: “Going to town. Back directly.” (Sometimes pronounced “drekkly”, like my mama did.)

I admit to saying “might could” and “fixin’ to” more often than I realize. Just ask my critique group.

Southerners know that grits come from corn and how to eat them.

Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction of “yonder”.

Every Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip greens, peas, beans, etc. make up “a mess”.

True Southerners say “sweet tea” and “sweet milk”. Sweet tea indicates the need for sugar and lots of it. “Sweet milk” means you don’t want buttermilk.

Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of solace for a neighbor who’s got trouble is a plate of fried chicken and a big bowl of cold potato salad. If the neighbor’s trouble is a real crisis, they know to add a large banana puddin’.

And a true Southerner knows you don’t scream obscenities at little old ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say, “Bless her heart,” . . . and go your own way.

If you haven’t dozed off while reading this, here’s my question for today. What quirky regional words or phrases do you hear in the area where you live? Let’s hear ‘em.

By the way, I hear they’re fixin’ to have classes in Southernness as a second language.

Y’all have a nice day now, ya’ hear?

Loralee – in a South Texas frame of mind today

5 comments:

  1. Oh for land's sake and Laws-a-mercy! That was a good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patrish! You're catchin' on.

      Delete
  2. When I was growing up, I used to hear, "We're goin' down the crik." My husband still says crik. We used to live by Blue Crik. Now we live near Hickory Crik. Sorta drives me nuts. I always want to shout, "It's CREEK! Long EEEE." But that's just me. Also, I'm going to warsh my clothes. Huh? Where did that r come from? I guess southwest Michigan has it's own little strange speech,lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, I never heard "crik" until moved to Michigan, so yes, it's "creek" for me, too. My mama used to say "rench" for rinse the dishes she "warshed". As a matter of self-defense for being the only Southerner in my hubby's family, I worked hard to lose my Southern drawl/Texas twang. Have to admit when I go home or talk with folks there, I slide right back into "y'all", "yonder" and "might could".

      Delete
  3. Loralee, great column. Love those regionalisms. My mom always said warsh. I thought it was a Missouri Ozarks thing. My fav Detroit expression (which drives non-Detroiters crazy) is adding a possessive to businesses: he works at Ford's or Chrysler's; going to Meijer's. I'm pretty sure it stems from the fact that those companies actually belonged to someone (Henry Ford, etc.) but that does drive some people nuts.

    Oh, when I lived in Missouri I heard "air up the tires" and "throw the paper" (instead of delivering the newspaper). Loved those.

    ReplyDelete