Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Road to Publication

Let me start out by sharing that I have always wanted to write a novel. Lol..I know, most authors say that don’t they? Well, from the time I was in elementary school and won my first essay contest, I was bitten and smitten. Then I won a few more writing awards, then I had a story put into print, complete with illustrations, placed in our middle school library. From there, dreams of writing a book that would be in more than my school library filled my head. Writing a book was something I wanted to do—had to do.

Then of course life got in the way. I went through my wild teen years, dated up a storm, married, had kids, a job, a busy family complete with pets, a home and everything else that gobbles up each second, minute, hour of every day. Not that I’m complaining, I love it…but my dream of writing was pushed to the back of my mind. And I admit there were long stretches of time where I didn’t even think about it.


Then there were nights I’d be chatting with my sister and we’d start talking about all the could’ve, would’ve, should’ve moments in our life and the writing subject would rear its neglected head. She knew deep down writing was something I always wanted to try. We’d grown up with a book always within reach and we especially loved romance novels. Through the years and our talks, I’d confessed more than once I wanted to try writing a love story.


Finally, about 3 years ago, when the subject came up again, probably in between a few glasses of wine…lol…she urged me to go for it. The kids were older, my job allowed me a bit more freedom and my time had gone from no time to me time. YAY!


I hemmed and hawed and she bought me a few books on craft, dragged me to Barnes and Nobles to find more then bugged me by phone to see if I had started. You know, all the things a sister who loves you does to help you realize your dream. (yeah, I admit it, I love my sister too).


After long hours of writing, contests entered, critique partners and groups found and lost, I had a manuscript.


Some Like it in Handcuffs. My first complete novel, weighing in right around 73,000 words. A light hearted romantic suspense with humorous elements. LOL…is there a separate genre for that? I had no clue. I’m sure at that point talk of genres was something I wasn’t familiar with.

At the urging of my sister and my cp’s I wrote up a shaky query letter and sent my words out to a few agents. I believe five total, and my little story was rejected that same amount of times. And I was crushed. But I learned from all the other supportive authors out there that rejection is the norm, so not to take it to heart. Which is great advice, but still hard to accept. So I tweaked a bit more, read more on the craft of writing, scoured the internet and applied what I learned to my manuscript then sent it out to a publisher.


While I waited for a reply, I continued to learn about the art of writing, started a new manuscript, joined a few writer’s loops and met more wonderful people who shared all their knowledge and wisdom and triumphs and defeats. It was like a little family and I loved being a member.


Just when I got to the point where I thought if I ever heard back from that publisher it’d be another rejection, and I’d be okay with it, I received an offer for a contract.


The Wild Rose Press loved Some Like it in Handcuffs and wanted to publish my story…not only that but they wanted to publish it in ebook format and print. That was in April of 2011. After a couple of rounds of edits, waiting for the cover art, the galleys and all the little bits and pieces that go into making a writer’s dream of a book come true, I was given my release date of March 23, 2012. And now that date is here.


I’m beyond thrilled.


I have several other stories in various stages and two other books coming out this year. Two-Timing the Boss will be released in print and ebook format with The Wild Rose Press and I also have a story coming out through Entangled Publishing in their Indulgence Line with Lori Wilde. This has been an amazing journey and there are times I still have to pinch myself to make sure it’s not a dream.


Some Like it in Handcuffs Blurb:


Sunny Kennedy, the only female in a family of blue blood male detectives, is determined to prove testosterone isn’t the only qualification required to solve a cold case. Handcuffed while undercover then taken to the precinct by an attractive detective, her domineering family demands she work with Detective Judson Blackwolf, or she’s off the case.


Judson Blackwolf thinks women in law enforcement should work behind the scenes. The prospect of working with his Captain’s sexy daughter doesn’t thrill him. He only agrees in hopes of solving the murder of his one time mentor’s daughter. Once the case is over, he’s moving to Montana to heal his wounds from the loss of his last partner.

But when their investigation takes a dangerous turn, Sunny and Jud soon realize their feelings for each other cannot be denied.

Excerpt:


“This isn’t how I wanted it between us.” Judson grabbed the neckline of her sweater, dragging her body to meet his with a solid thump. Sunny licked her lips in answer to the question in his eyes. He lowered his head to move his mouth over hers.


Sunny closed her eyes, a small whimper escaping her lips. She didn’t want it like this either, but that wasn’t possible. Unable to resist her attraction she accepted it wasn’t an affair, or a long distance romance she craved, but for him to love her back. It was all or nothing for her. Her heart sank. She accepted this as their goodbye kiss.

With no thought to what was happening upstairs, Sunny rose up on her toes demanding more. Her lips pulsated against Judson’s. When his hand trembled against her cheek in a soft caress she lost touch with reality.

“Judson.” Sunny’s weakened body drifted farther into Judson’s as his fingers glided down her arms, pulling them to her sides where their fingers intertwined. He forced them behind her before his tongue thrust into her mouth.

Their bodies molded together, she heard her own heartbeat and his as well when he curved his fingers around her rear and squeezed.

That’s when the click of the handcuffs against her wrist connected her to the handle of the locked cupboard.

“What the hell…Judson?” She looked up at him, her knees shook, her body still inflamed with fever.

“Like I was saying, you wait here and I’ll go upstairs to check it out. Backup’s already been called, so you’re safe until your brothers arrive.” Judson winked before walking toward the steps to the third level. Once he reached them he turned toward her and smiled. “Gotcha,” he whispered with his notorious grin.



Some Like it in Handcuffs is available in print and digital format starting March 23rd at:

The Wild Rose Press
Barnes & Noble
Amazon









And you can find me at:

My blog/website, Twitter under ChristinesWords and my Facebook page…stop by and give it a LIKE to stay on top of what I have in the works. I love to hear from readers and other authors J And a HUGE thank you to Loralee for all your support and for having me guest today xoxox

34 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear about a writer's dream coming true. Some Like It In Handcuffs sounds like a great read. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by Diane! It has been a dream that I've followed for a long time....just glad I finally took the time to work on making it happen :)

      Delete
  3. Christine, I'm looking forward to meeting Sunny and Judson and the obstacles they come to face.
    Nice blog,Lorlaee.
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denice...I can't wait for you to meet them too! I know you'll love them :) Thanks for coming by xoxox

      Delete
  4. Terrific post! It's amazing, and encouraging, to hear that you persevered and triumphed, despite the initial rejection. Congrats on the release, Christine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mirriam. Rejection is always hard, but I know it's not uncommon, so after that first initial pity party, it makes it easier to come back for another round! lol

      Delete
  5. Great Call Story Christine. I'm beyond excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome Calisa...thanks for all your support!

      Delete
  6. Rejection comes in many forms. The wise writer learns her craft, just as you did. After all, the learning curve for a writer is continual. Wishing you good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise words Vonnie! Thanks for coming by :)

      Delete
  7. See? Persistence does pay off. Good for you for not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persistence is a good thing for sure...especially if you're a writer. :)

      Delete
  8. Perseverance is definitely the key! You have a great story, Christine ( the personal journey and the book!)...good luck with your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome Kristi...thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  9. So awesome! Can't wait to read it!
    PS. I LOVE this site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, doesn't Loralee have a gorgeous blog! Very comfortable. And you're right, your pic and hers are so similar...love it!

      Glad you came by D'Ann!

      Delete
  10. PS. LOL look at Loralee's pic to the right, then mine. We're kindreds...!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Christine! I'm so happy about your release day tomorrow! Best wishes for much success.

    You nailed the beauty of the writer's life - there are so many supportive people around us, because we could never do this all on our own. In a short time you've made up for all those years of dreaming and putting off writing your first book. So glad your sister prodded you!

    And I must say what a gorgeous website this is, Loralee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne, you are awesome! Thank you so much for coming by and for your support too!

      As for Loralee's site, can't you just sit here all day, with a cup of lemonade and a group of friends to chat...it's perfect!

      Delete
  12. Sunny sounds like someone I'd be friends with - one of my favorite traits in a heroine. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ally! I feel the same way about Sunny, she's an everyday kind of girl.

      Delete
  13. Hi everyone! I'm finally online. I apologize to Christine for not introducing her first. My Internet service out here by the back fence is NOT reliable. Yesterday and today, my emails haven't gone anywhere. Grrr!

    I've been so excited to have Christine as a guest on my blog page and help promote her debut novel. She's an incredible writer and I know her career is destined for big things. I hope y'all will grab your copy of SOME LIKE IT IN HANDCUFFS as soon as you leave the back fence. And don't forget to visit Christine's blog page for lots of fun on a daily basis!

    Christine, you've made the back fence a happy place today. Thanks bunches! You're welcome here any time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loralee, you are the absolute best! I'm so thrilled to be visiting with you today. I feel welcomed and so comfortable. Thank you :)

    And likewise, whenever you want to visit my blog, you're always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great story! Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabella! Thanks for coming by :) I appreciate it.

      Delete
  16. Christine, it is such a joy getting to know you better. I can only imagine the excitement you feel right now.

    My Kindle is waiting for your book--and tomorrow is the day.

    This is such a beautiful site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, don't you just love the scenery here :) Very peaceful.

      And I'm so glad you came by Brenda...I can't wait for Sunny and Judson to meet your Kindle *WINK*

      Delete
  17. Hi Loralee and Christine,
    Is it just me, or has this been the looongest week ever? LOL. I love the spunky heroine, Sunny and can't wait for tomorrow! Yay!
    Have the best day. And I agree with D'Ann, I love it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Loralee's site reflects her personality...you just can't but feel comfortable around her.

      And Tere, thanks for dropping by with your support. I'm excited for Friday too. It's been a long week. lol

      Delete
  18. Loralee, thank you again for hosting me today on your wonderful blog! I always like visiting :)

    Your support and kindness mean the world to me. And to everyone who stopped by...thanks for the support and for helping me kick off my debut release...WOOT WOOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is one of the prettiest blogsites I've ever seen. A perfect place to learn more about Christine Warner and her new book out. Your road to publication story is heartwarming!

    ps: note to Loralee - nice headstall on your BIG horse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments on the site, Sheri. Glad you like it. stop by anytime. By the way, the horse's name is Reino.

      Delete
  20. Hi Sheri....so glad you came by! You're awesomesauce to the max :) lol

    ReplyDelete