Thursday, February 23, 2012

Back To The Back Fence

I’m sure happy to be back here again. My fingers are still in a splint, but I’m hitting the keyboard again with a two-finger hunt ‘n peck. I’ve missed visiting with all y’all here, but I enjoyed the chance to catch up on some reading and a nap or two, as well as finishing revisions on my next contemporary romance. Actually, joint-replacement in my finger didn’t render me helpless, but it sure limited my activity for awhile. Especially the housework. Yes, indeedy, you can’t wash dishes, fold laundry, make beds…those everyday little things taken for granted. Just sayin’.

I’m grateful to my family for stepping up without being asked, just like they always do. They provided support with meals, trips to the grocery store and errands. Whatever I needed, they provided. My hubby did laundry, made beds and made my life easier in so many little ways. I am truly blessed. And that brings me to the main topic of today’s blog. (I know, I took the long way around the back forty, but that’s how I am.)

~~~LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT~~~ IT’S THE LITTLE THINGS THAT COUNT~~~ GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES~~~

We’ve all heard these well-used clichés many times. You can probably add more to the list. What could they possibly have to do with being a writer, other than the warning not to use them in our writing? Let me tell you, folks, writers appreciate the time a reader takes to “like” a book online, give an online review, Twitter a comment about an author they love and their latest release, mention the book on Facebook, follow that author’s blog, or recommend the book to friends. You ask, “Oh, how would that help? it’s only one little comment – just a brief mention on my blog or FB page.” But all those little bits of thoughtfulness add up to a huge show of support for the author and their work. Believe me, authors appreciate all those little things. So don’t ever think your one small effort doesn’t make a difference, ‘cause it does.

So what little things mean a lot to you…in your everyday life as a reader or as a writer? How do you add them to others’ lives?

Please share your thoughts at my back fence today. It means a lot . . . and thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you here again soon. I’ll leave you with this thought for the day . . . If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin’. Just sayin’.

9 comments:

  1. I love your "Back Fence" blogs, Tex. You always hit us with small simple truths that add up to huge attitude differences. Keep on keepin' on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, m'dear. It's easy to overlook the importance of little things, so I have to remind myself of that often. Of course, the little stuff like dust bunnies under the bed...um, need I say more?

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you're back and that your surgery went well. Isn't it marvelous what the docs can do!

    You are so right about the little things that mean so much. It's always great to hear when your blog hits home. Yours did and it reminded me that I don't thank my dh for all the little things he does without being asked. Too often I grouse about what he doesn't do. Keep up the "Back Fence" chats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call 'em medical marvels, Diane. You and I have had some, haven't we? Thanks for stopping by with kind words.

      Delete
  3. You couldn't have said it better Loralee! It's wonderful when a friend or fellow author comments on your blog, retweets or posts on your facebook page, or better yet shares your news on facebook. The support system is amazing.

    As for in our personal life...family is the best and it's wonderful when they step forward just because, without being asked. Love That :)

    Glad you are feeling better. You've been in my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the well wishes and kind thoughts, Christine. So glad you stopped by. Your comments are always welcome. I always look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to see you're back and feeling better, Loralee! Family is by far the most precious thing, isn't it? So nice to know you can count on them when you need a little help :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I think my family is amazing. After all, they put up with me. Te more birthdays I have, the mpre I appreciate those little things.

    And while I'm at it, I truly appreciate everyone who stops by to leave a comment. Thank y'all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excuse all the typos. I'm still typing one-handed,

    ReplyDelete