Thursday, January 5, 2012

Are you ready for a brand new year? No? Oops, sorry, you don’t get a choice. The new year slipped in on December 31st when I wasn’t looking. That would be because I was asleep. Yep, sound asleep when the New Year’s Eve ball drop occurred in NYC and in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I wondered (very briefly) if other cities had big celebrations or not. Did your home town celebrate with a bang?

How many of you stayed up late to usher in the New Year? Let’s have a show of hands, folks. Be honest, now. Did y’all party all night...or did you crash by ten o’clock? Before ten? Aw, that’s okay. I couldn’t stay awake, either. But, you know what? 2012 got here all the same.

I’m looking forward to this bright, new year anticipating...and hoping. Anticipating the excitement of seeing more Hill Country contemporary romance books published, along with a new fun mystery series. Hoping for good reviews and great sales. Anticipating attending MMRWA Writers Retreat and RWA Anaheim in July. Hoping for faster writing and better productivity. (Big stretch with the faster writing thing.)

I didn’t make any New Year’s resolutions, but I did set a goal for 2012 – to work harder in order to make the hoping turn into reality by keeping on schedule. Seriously! Life slaps me upside the head now and then, scattering all my good intentions six ways to Sunday. When that happens, I give myself permission to take time off and just breathe. To stop and reflect on what I’ve accomplished in 2011, and to anticipate moving forward in 2012.

Back Fence friends, thank you for all the love and support you’ve given me this past year. I hope y’all will take time to reflect on your own accomplishments in 2011 and anticipate accomplishing a great many more. This is my hope for each of you in 2012 – that you will reach your goal, whatever it is, one step at a time.

See y’all here at the back fence next week with new thoughts on writing about small towns, and maybe a couple of mama’s tried and true recipes. You never can tell. Cold weather and comfort food just kinda go together. Yeah, they do.




7 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Loralee! I actually stayed up this year (I usually don't), but we had close friends over, played board and card games, and had a good time. As for resolutions, none for me. I, too, set goals for 2012. It's going to be a great year!! Can't wait for the recipes next week :)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post Loralee! I wish I could've stayed up, but I had to work early in the morning, so I came home from work by 9pm so I could get back up at 5...so I missed the excitement...but maybe next year...lol. Happy New Year to you and I'm with you on the wishes...maybe we all have a wonderful writing year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil and I were up. We watched the ball drop in NYC. Interesting new ball. Phil said it was shaped like a blood pressure pill. Kind of a reflection of our age, right? Either that, or a reflection of Dick Clark's age. hee hee! Looking forward to 2012 with my family, and all of my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to friends' house for talk (catching up with each other's families), dinner, talk, played dominoes, more talk, watched the ball drop, followed by more talk, spent the night, breakfast then home. This has been our tradition since we returned to MI 12 yrs ago. We alternate houses. It's fun and safe since nobody has to drive home with the drunks. Now, on to 2012. May it bring good things for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, Christine, Patrish, Diane and future commenters....
    Google is once again messing with me and not accepting my profile name, so I'll be anonymous until ???
    Thanks to those who commented and shared their New Year's Eve fun. I love hearing what others do to celebrate.
    Stop back next week to read about using small towns as locales for stories and for some recipes for comfort foods. Maybe by then, google will like me again.

    Loralee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Loralee! I'm usually in bed long before the new year arrives but this year I babysat my grandkids. We played charades until time to watched the ball drop. It was a great way to kick off the brand new year!
    Looking forward to 2012 and seeing you at retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Teresa! I rememember some New Year's Eve parties sitting with our grandkids, too, and it was such fun seeing who could stay awake the longest. You're right! You had a great way to ring in 2012. See you at Retreat!

    ReplyDelete