Thursday, December 1, 2011

What I Meant To Say

For some reason, deciding on a topic for today’s Thursday Thoughts gave me a little trouble this week. Oh, I had several choices in mind, but I kept starting and stopping so many times, the Delete key on my laptop started begging me to have mercy. Ever have that happen to y’all? Annoying as a pesky mosquito buzzing around your head after you’ve gone to bed, isn’t it?

Well, I finally swatted that mosquito, picked a topic and wrote the darned blog. Job done. End of confusion. Time for bed, right? Oh, no.


For some reason I can only explain as an “Oh-Shiny” mental blip, I decided to wait until morning to send the final copy to my Virtual Assistant for publication. I needed to read it over one more time. So here I am this morning, coffee cup filled, rewriting the whole thing. Why? It’s not like the world is out there waiting breathlessly to read my words. Seriously. How many blogs do you read/follow in a day? Be honest, folks. I know if I read every one I wanted to read, I’d never get any writing done at all. Most of the time, I’m way behind on reading my e-mails, let alone getting them answered. And reading for pleasure? I’ve almost forgotten how that goes. Maybe I should’ve blogged about time management, huh?


By now, you’re probably wondering what’s in my coffee cup besides coffee, right? So far, there’s no topic for my rambling, you say. Trust me, there is. Keep reading.


Indecision. Lack of faith in your own words. Fear of failure. These worrisome feelings can trap you and keep you from moving forward in your writing. Stopping and starting, never finishing. I’ve been guilty of that many times in the years since I’ve been writing. I have unfinished manuscripts to prove it, too. But I also have published books that validate my work and my belief in myself. Lately, I forget to remember that important stuff. My remedy was to go back and read a couple of quotes from Steve Jobs’ 2005 speech at Stanford U.


“Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice.

And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

Wise words to follow, no matter where you are in your writing life. If being published is your personal dream, go for it. Make the decision and stick to it. Believe in yourself enough and before long, others will, too. No one else sees the world the same way you do. Your voice is unique, your words are your own. Let them flow freely until you find your rhythm and your strength.


Keep writing. That’s what I meant to say, all along.


Next week, I’ll share some holiday gift ideas for your writer friends. Until then, here’s my Thursday Thought to start your day with a smile...


Being ‘over the hill’ is much better than being under it!


Y’all come back now, ya’ hear?

6 comments:

  1. Great advice, Loralee. Both you and Steve Jobs have it right. Thanks for the reminder.
    Maris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you stop by, Maris. Jobs' gave some of the best advice I've ever read or heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring post Loralee! It helped to lift my mood and also sent me a subtle message to get off the internet and back to that ms I'm working on. LOL

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to be even a small part of inspiration, Christine. Love to see you at my back fence again. Thanks for taking time out of your busy day to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Advice to live by! Always enjoy your posts, Loralee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Jennifer. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just rambling on these posts. Glad you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete