Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

I’m laughing now, but I wasn’t on Tuesday. The cause of my dilemma started last month when my office suffered water damage and I had to move everything out and start over again. I’m sharing my frustrations here at the back fence today, ‘cause some days you just need a listening post. Hope y’all don’t mind. Maybe you’ll even find yourself relating to my situation. If you do, I’d sure like to hear about it.

It seems the longer I live, the more I find myself involved in the technical world of communication. You know, like computers and tablets and phones that can travel with me, play music and talk back. It’s almost like science fiction back in the days of radio’s Let’s Pretend. (Does anyone even remember that far back besides me?)

Tuesday I purchased a new PC and the familiar world of my old MS Word 2003 was suddenly obsolete. Word 2010 reared its strange and unfriendly head and…talk about an old dog having to learn new tricks. Huh! Took me all day to hook up that troublemaker and I still haven’t figured out the 2010 version. When did assembly instructions change from printed to only numbered, wordless pictures? Really?

Refusing to let an inanimate object best me, I wrestled and wrangled, studied pictures and untangled power cords until I got the darn thing connected and figured out the wide-screen monitor to the delight of my weary eyes. But was I finished? Heck no! There was NO SOUND! I checked and re-checked the packing boxes, looking for the speakers displayed in the pretty pictures. Nothing. Nada. Zip. A call to the store where I’d just dropped more dollars than I’d budgeted for this month (and next) gave me another shock. Sure enough, in the last six plus years since I’ve had to buy a PC, the manufacturers of PC’s no longer include speakers with the purchase of their product. Seriously? I thought a la carte was only for dinner menus. Am I so far behind the times that I didn’t know that little bit of techie-trivia? The cyber world of technology has invaded my life, and I’m not so sure I like that. But what’s a writer to do?

Another trip to town to buy speakers, more time spent hooking up more wires and adjusting the volume so I wouldn’t terrify the livestock down the road, and…you guessed it. I totally forgot to fix dinner. Sigh.

“How about Subway tonight?” my sweet hubby asked as he headed for the car. “I’m not very hungry anyway.” I gave him double-scoops of ice cream for dessert.

This morning, I was ready to get started using the new technology-loaded beauties sitting on my desk when I discovered ONE MORE THING! I hadn’t installed my printer. So I’m thinking I’ll just stick with my laptop for now, at least until I make my deadline.

I’ll be here next week, hopefully with all my tech issues solved. Progress…ya’ gotta love it.

Just remember, when you quit laughing, you quit livin’, so I’ll keep right on laughing at my techno-bloopers, ‘cause I don’t like the sound of that other option.

4 comments:

  1. I'll keep laughing with you, Loralee! Great blog and I can relate. I'm still way behind the digital age :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm not laughing alone, Jennifer. And hey, thanks for stopping by this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can sure relate. My laptop that was only two and a half years old died an untimely death last month. I was just getting used to Windows and Word 2007 and starting to like them. Now I'm back to working on an older laptop. I hate to think that by the time I get a new laptop we may be on the 2015 editions!
    Hang in there, Loralee!

    Lucy
    P.S. I didn't want to be anonymous but it wouldn't let me post any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to hear I'm not the only one with techno horror stories. It's hard to admit, but I've had Office 2010 in the drawer for awhile now. Can't bring myself to give up the old 2003.

    Love your sense of humor, Loralee!

    PS - Hope I didn't break anything when I signed up to follow you.

    ReplyDelete