Thursday, August 18, 2011

My First Attempt at Self-Promotion

Want to know a secret? I’m not good at promoting my own books. Okay, that’s not really a secret, but it got your attention, and that’s the first step in my effort to self-promote.

Since my latest contemporary romance, ALL THAT MATTERS, will be available September 9 wherever e-books are sold, it’s high time I got the word out, don’t you think?

Most authors in the know have successfully embraced all the necessary social media tactics with ease and their names are a daily presence online. Twitter, Facebook, newsletters, blogs, groups and loops...you name it. I’m told a networking talent is imperative in these digital days. Say what?

I decided I’d better do something different to make my presence noticed. Something big! After all, ALL THAT MATTERS launch date is September 9. But, where to start? I had no clue.

First, I thought about hiring an airplane that skywrites. I tried imagining “ALL THAT MATTERS COMING SEPTEMBER 9” written in fluffy white script against a true blue sky. Ingenious, right? But what if it rained, and how would I decide which city to fly over? I sure can’t afford to cover the whole U.S.A.

Next, I considered wearing a sandwich board with “ALL THAT MATTERS COMING SEPTEMBER 9” emblazoned front and back in neon lettering. I’d walk through the neighborhoods where everyone could see me, then I remembered there aren’t any ‘hoods out here, so who’s gonna see me...the livestock. They can’t even read.

Television and radio ads, billboards, maybe? Nope. Working on a budget here, folks. Word of mouth? Well, yeah. My entire family is taking care of that.

So, is an online presence my only choice? If I spend my writing time on book promotion, when do I get to write those books? My days of multi-tasking ended when I retired. So here’s the solution I came up with and it’s a sure-fire winner. I have a Virtual Assistant now to keep my social network updated. Yes, indeed, thanks to My Girl Friday ~ VA, a huge load of worry has been lifted off my shoulders. Now I can concentrate on writing the next book—and the next.

Oh, I’ll still make time to chat with you here at the back fence every Thursday, so I hope you’ll be here. In fact, next Thursday, August 25, I’m excited and honored to have talented cover artist, Patricia Lazarus, as my guest. She’s promised to share thoughts with us about the conception of those gorgeous, sexy covers—you know, like ALL THAT MATTERS, coming September 9. You won’t want to miss this chance to meet Patricia and leave a comment or ask her a question.

So until then, I’ll see you back here next Thursday if the good Lord’s willing and the creek don’t rise.

6 comments:

  1. Great blog, Loralee! I can't wait to someday worry about self-promotion too :) I'll remember this because I'm going to need all the help I can get! I know you'll do great and the book with launch with amazing success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Jennifer. I still would like to see my title in skywriting someday. LOL!
    I predict you'll be needing some self-promoting sooner than you think. Keep writing and submitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same concerns about promotion. Your blog is certainly working. I can't wait until ALL THAT MATTERS is available.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Maris. The whole self-promoting thing is easier to deal with now that I have help from My Girl Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart gal to put your creative process first. I applaud your choice of a VA to take the pressure off...in fact, I even copied you by getting My Girl Friday for myself. There ARE only so many hours in the day...

    Can't wait until Sept 9!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there, Nancy! Thanks for the early morning visit here at my back fence. There's still some dew on the grass, so hope you wore your boots.

    I agree, we both have My Girl Friday to thank for her assistance. Love what she's done for you, too. Being able to put the creative process first has made a huge difference in my time-management.

    ReplyDelete